ThosaiAndChutney

Life's mostly about what's in the pot and who's having it for dinner.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Where's the discipline?!

I am talking about myself here. I always claim to continue blogging.. but Where is the discipline? The year has half gone by. So many things happened. Well, actually only one thing happened but it took up half the year.
'There comes a time..." That's what happened!
It's a play which I had to so stupidly agree to direct. The play was supposed to help rais funds for our new school building.
It was a Play written by Patrick Yeoh. It was interesting.
I've directed plays before but his time it was different. I worked with school kids. Most of them were my students actually.
The job... that was tiring. Practices and rehearsals almost everyday and the closer we got to the actual day it was rehearsals every night. it really took a lot of me. I'm sure it took a lot of everyone involved. But it so beautiful to see the joy and committment in the kids that came for every practice. Mind you, there were also some very old people in the play as well. Since it was a fund raising project for St. Thomas' Secondary school, I decided I should include old boys as well.

There was James Brodie (class of 1967) who played the leading role and his (stage) brother, Andee Yeo (class of 1993) who got dragged into this because he's my husband and it was convenient. The play also included teachers in the school, ie Magdalan Bong who played the loyal sister. It was fantastic. Young and old working together.

In the students, I can now see a sudden burst of confidence as they suddenly walk tall and speak louder. It's amazing. Ordinary kids who once sat in the back corner of the class and could hardly be heard, are now speaking up. The other day, In Lit Class, Walter (who hardly speaks) actually had an opinion!!!

It was a really hard time. My son was close to neglected. I tried to spend as much time with his as possible, But I wish I could have more. Home was neglected. My paper work piled up. And my son's 2nd birthday was the day before the major performance. So much pressure. (But I made sure I celebrated his birthday!)

It was a totally kids party. With egg boats with toast for sails, and very typical cartoon like cupcakes (Colourful frosting with a big red cherry on the top) -my son likes the cake that appeared on the mickey mouse show. Pink and blue ginger-bread boys and girls, Sandwich rolls and candy. And I baked my first birthday cake, complete with icing and decoration. I am so proud of myself. The day was crazy! I went to work, got home earlier than usual, started preparing for the party including frosting the cake. And what happened in the middle?!! My little nephew (turned 1 today) fell and cut his eyelid. So, I was suddenly short of three pairs of hands. Thanks to Aunty Elsie who happened to visit as well. But we managed to get things done on time. And the party was fabulous with all the kids in the neighbourhood plus my son's cousins. And after the party, I rushed again for our final rehearsal. Two days later, my son ran into the car door as it was opening and got a cut on the forehead to match his cousin's. And they lived happily ever after.

That was a tiring 6 months. especially the last week. But through it all, I have learned a few things.

And through all this, I discovered a few things:

1. I discovered who my true friends are - the ones who stuck by me, encouragingly and tried to make life easier when things were geting so pressing. Not the ones who sat on the sidelines and commented how I did what I did and not those who suddenly were nice to me just becuase I was in the lime light..although it was quite helpful because they would do anything a i asked. So I had extra help albeit insincere.

2. I discovered that I am a strong person. I can take whatever comes my way and bite it and deal with it. I have a special new-found respect for myself.

3. I discovered that I have a husband who believes in me and thinks I am capable of conquering the world.

4. I discovered that I have a beautiful child who is so sweet-natured that he doesn't demand especially when he knows he can't have it - my time and 100% of my attention.

6. I discovered that Parents are the best people on earth. Although they live so far away from me, they are actually right next to me, supporting me in whatever I do and always ready to help when they are needed. Parents-in-law, the same.

7. And what was I thinking when I decided to do all that for my son's birthday when I could have just bought a cake and catered food? Well, "carpe diem". Seize the day! Live each day like it's your last! If I die before my son's 3rd birthday, He would have at least had 1 home-baked birthday cake.. And I would have fulfilled my wish of baking a birthday cake for him.

Well, that's that.

Anymore chutney, anyone?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home