ThosaiAndChutney

Life's mostly about what's in the pot and who's having it for dinner.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Craig Antweiler

I promised I was going to write about my german son. Now where do I begin.
Craig came across as the leader from the very beginning. I looked at him and he had this really quiet control, confident, very respectful... but very tired.

So, we took him home and ordered him to get as much rest as he could because I could foresee a very packed and hectic two weeks ahead.

Craig was not demanding. He has Type 1 Diabetes, which, unlike my mom's, requires a consistent intake of carbohydrates. I'm sure my mom wishes hers was Type 1 and not the other. But for a 17-yr-old, he is so disciplined. Once I was having something really yummy..(as usual) and I offered him some. He declined and so I thought.."oh, not time for carbs yet'. But no. He further explained.. "I want to watch my weight". Needless to say, I felt like a greedy pig. He excersises, plays games, goes for jogs... While I make up for him by eating.

He is always so grateful and shows it. Always a thank you there and a thank you here. Very cheerful young man with a certain dry humour.

I had not seen a boy his age be so friendly with kids. I always thought that boys his age thought it uncool to hang out with little kids. But Craig was different. He plays with David and I think he has helped bring out a different side of david. He somehow makes david melt. Everytime he goes out, there's always something for his little brother.

The two weeks he spent with us has left us feeling very much fulfilled as parents and hosts. He has allowed us to share a little bit of his life with us and also helped us see our potential and our capability as parents. It was really fun having him around and I must say that the house seems pretty emptys since he left last monday.

Craig, you make sure you keep in touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home